West Palm Beach VA Medical Center
HEALTH CARE FOR WOMEN VETERANS
West Palm Beach VA Healthcare System offers a variety of health services to address the unique needs of women Veterans. Our goal is to provide quality care in a concerned, compassionate, and comprehensive manner.
HOW TO ACCESS THESE SERVICES
All honorably discharged women Veterans are eligible to apply for healthcare services. A co-payment may be assessed for non-service connected conditions. The fee is determined by your income and entitlement.
If you are NOT already enrolled for VA medical benefits at the West Palm Beach VA Healthcare System, contact the Eligibility Unit for assistance at 561-422-6838 option 4, or tollfree at 1-866-383-9036 option 4.
If you are already enrolled for VA medical benefits, contact your Primary Care Team for information about services available in the Women's Clinic.
West Palm Beach Women's Clinic is a multidisciplinary clinic offering a full range of preventive care and treatment services for women of all ages. Women are given a comprehensive history and physical examination on their first visit to determine the course of follow-up care.
Healthcare for women Veterans is available on an in-patient and out-patient basis. The West Palm Beach Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) also provide primary care services for women Veterans.
PRIMARY CARE SERVICES
Exams and services:
- History and physical, including pelvic exam and breast exam
- Menopause treatment, including hormonal therapy if appropriate
- Family planning and contraceptive care
- Infertility evaluation and referrals
- Maternity care referrals
- Assessment for heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke risk
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
- Sexual trauma referrals
- Flu and other vaccines
- Social Work referrals
- Medication therapy education
- Referrals for other services as needed by the patient
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer or fibrocystic disease
- Cervical cancer – Pap test
- Colorectal cancer
- High cholesterol
- Sexually transmitted diseasesDiabetes
- Nutrition and dietary needs
- Psycho-social issues that impact women’s health
SPECIALTY SERVICES IN THE WOMEN’S CLINIC
GYNECOLOGY CLINIC provides special services, including major or minor surgical procedures for treatment of women's reproductive disorders. These may include urologic-gynecology for treatment of urinary incontinence and referrals for gynecological oncology for treatment of cancers of the female reproductive organs.
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES are available for treatment of many conditions, including depression and anxiety. An individual comprehensive treatment plan is developed with the patient. Referrals are made as needed for specific issues, such as military sexual trauma, eating disorders, substance use, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
If you would like to know more about the Women Veterans Healthcare Program at West Palm Beach VA Healthcare System, you may speak to the Women Veterans Program Manager at 561-422-6881.
Healthcare for women Veteran is also available at Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Stuart, Okeechobee, Fort Pierce and Vero Beach.
Our Women Veterans Program Manager advises and advocates for women Veterans. She can help coordinate all the services you may need, from primary care to specialized care for chronic conditions or reproductive health. VA health care for women Veterans includes:
- General care includes health evaluation and counseling, disease prevention, nutrition counseling, weight control, smoking cessation, and substance abuse counseling and treatment as well as gender-specific primary care, such as cervical cancer screens (Pap smears), breast cancer screens (mammograms), birth control, preconception counseling, Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine, menopausal support (hormone replacement therapy).
- Mental health includes evaluation and assistance for issues such as depression, mood, and anxiety disorders; intimate partner and domestic violence; sexual trauma; elder abuse or neglect; parenting and anger management; marital, caregiver, or family-related stress; and post-deployment adjustment or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST). Women-and men as well-may experience repeated sexual harassment or sexual assault during their military service. Special services are available to women who have experienced MST. VA provides free, confidential counseling and treatment for mental and physical health conditions related to MST. More information is available about MST from the national Women Veterans Health Care program and the VHA Office of Mental Health.
- Management and screening of chronic conditions includes heart disease, diabetes, cancer, glandular disorders, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia as well as sexually transmitted diseases such as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis. Reproductive health care includes maternity care, infertility evaluation and limited treatment; sexual problems, tubal ligation, urinary incontinence, and others. VA is prohibited by legislative authority from providing either in-vitro fertilization or abortion services.
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care. VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy. Homebound and long-term care services are available as well, limited to those meeting specific requirements.