West Palm Beach VA Medical Center
HEALTH CARE FOR WOMEN VETERANS
West Palm Beach VA Medical Center offers a variety of health services to address the unique needs of women Veterans. Our goal is to provide quality care in a concerned, compassionate, and comprehensive manner.
HOW TO ACCESS THESE SERVICES
All honorably discharged women Veterans are eligible to apply for healthcare services. A co-payment may be assessed for non-service connected conditions. The fee is determined by your income and entitlement.
If you are NOT already enrolled for VA medical benefits at the West Palm Beach VA Healthcare System, contact the Eligibility Unit for assistance at 561-422-6838 option 4, or tollfree at 1-866-383-9036 option 4.
If you are already enrolled for VA medical benefits, contact your Primary Care Team for information about services available in the Women's Clinic.
West Palm Beach Women's Clinic is a multidisciplinary clinic offering a full range of preventive care and treatment services for women of all ages. Women are given a comprehensive history and physical examination on their first visit to determine the course of follow-up care.
Healthcare for women Veterans is available on an in-patient and out-patient basis. The West Palm Beach Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) also provide primary care services for women Veterans.
PRIMARY CARE SERVICES
Exams and services:
- History and physical, including pelvic exam and breast exam
- Menopause treatment, including hormonal therapy if appropriate
- Family planning and contraceptive care
- Infertility evaluation and referrals
- Maternity care referrals
- Assessment for heart disease, high blood pressure and stroke risk
- Tobacco use cessation counseling
- Sexual trauma referrals
- Flu and other vaccines
- Social Work referrals
- Medication therapy education
- Referrals for other services as needed by the patient
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer or fibrocystic disease
- Cervical cancer – Pap test
- Colorectal cancer
- High cholesterol
- Sexually transmitted diseasesDiabetes
- Nutrition and dietary needs
- Psycho-social issues that impact women’s health
SPECIALTY SERVICES IN THE WOMEN’S CLINIC
GYNECOLOGY CLINIC provides special services, including major or minor surgical procedures for treatment of women's reproductive disorders. These may include urologic-gynecology for treatment of urinary incontinence and referrals for gynecological oncology for treatment of cancers of the female reproductive organs.
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES are available for treatment of many conditions, including depression and anxiety. An individual comprehensive treatment plan is developed with the patient. Referrals are made as needed for specific issues, such as military sexual trauma, eating disorders, substance use, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
If you would like to know more about the Women Veterans Healthcare Program at West Palm Beach VA Healthcare System, you may speak to the Women Veterans Program Manager at 561-422-6881.
Healthcare for women Veteran is also available at Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) in Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Stuart, Okeechobee, Fort Pierce and Vero Beach.
For Women Veterans, VA is Here
Women Veteran Program Managers are available at each VA Medical Center nationwide to assist women Veterans and coordinate services. Women Veterans who are interested in receiving care at VA should contact the nearest VA Medical Center.
Women Veterans are assigned to a designated Women’s Health Primary Care Provider who can provide general primary care and is specially trained or experienced in women’s care.
Whole Health - It's All About You
VA’s Whole Health System offers women Veterans proactive and personalized health care—empowering you to achieve your greatest level of health and well-being. Whole Health means the Whole You. From integrative health approaches like stress reduction, nutrition, and health coaching, to traditional clinical care and complementary health approaches—your journey to Whole Health starts here.
Proactive, integrative health approaches such as:
- Health coaching
- Mind-body therapies and stress reduction
- Nutrition and weight management
- Peer support and community resources
- Programs to stop smoking
- Physical therapy and chiropractic services
You will be at the center of a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT). A provider, nurse, and others will engage with you to manage your health care.
- Primary care: includes general medical care for acute and chronic conditions, such as chronic pain, high blood pressure, and diabetes
- Preventive care: includes immunizations and cancer screenings, such as mammogram, Pap, and colonoscopy
- Gender-specific care
- Birth control
- Family planning and preconception counseling
- Maternity and newborn care (first 7 days after birth)
- Osteoporosis screening and management
Gynecology Health Services
Evaluation and treatment for:
- Abnormal Pap test
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- Gynecologic cancers
Evaluation, counseling, and treatment for:
- Depression, mood, and anxiety disorders
- Alcohol and drug use and addiction
- Coping with illness
- Intimate partner violence/sexual and domestic abuse
- Military sexual trauma (MST)
- Parenting and caregiver concerns
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Stress adjustment from deployment
- Management of chronic or complex conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and fibromyalgia, as well as HIV/AIDS and hepatitis
- Surgery programs available at most Medical Centers
- Rehabilitation, homebound, and long-term care VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy
VA referrals are given to those in need of rehabilitation therapies, such as physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy, exercise therapy, recreational therapy, and vocational therapy.